Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pumping!

I have been pumping extra milk starting in early January, after I received a request for breastmilk for a mom going on some temporary medications. I didn't have any milk set aside at the time, but thought it would be a good idea. Since then, my freezer stash has been growing slowly. Since breastmilk stays good for 3-6 months in an upright freezer, I have been wanting to find a home for it soon. I looked into donating via Milkshare, but it would be a huge hassle to ship.

On Sunday, my problem was solved! There's a couple in our church who have been trying to adopt, and they just found out they're getting a baby, and soon. The birth mother is due in early April, but her other 2 kids both came six weeks early. So it could be any day now. I had talked to the woman a few weeks ago about donating my milk if she wanted it. She approached me yesterday and said they'd love to use it!

So I am motivated to keep pumping. I'd like to get at least 8 oz extra per day if I can.

By the way, does anyone have an idea of how much breastmilk a newborn eats per day? When you're breastfeeding you don't think about those kind of things!

8 comments:

  1. Sorry, no idea how much a nb needs...but how exciting that you found a couple to take your donated milk! It always makes me so happy to hear of situations like this :) Also happy to hear Zari's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's excellent, Rixa! I have no idea either about newborn needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on becoming a wet nurse!!! Next time someone in church talks about service, please bring this example up. Anyone can donate blood, but only a few can donate milk. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I guess I am a wet nurse...never thought of it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that your milk will be helping another baby thrive! It depends a lot on birth weight, but a lot of newborns start at 2 oz after the first few days and may go up to 4 every 3 hrs at a month. If she's preemie then it will be less, and a while before 4 oz.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! One of my friends who adopted purchased her milk on-line. She also took something that made her milk come in so she could breastfeed the baby. She found she wasn't producing enough milk so she had a little contraption that she hooked to her breast so the baby would get her milk, along with the the supplemental breastmilk. If you think your friend might be interested in something like this, I'd be glad to put them in contact :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did she take domperidone? I know that's a common one that adoptive moms use. I've sent my friend a lot of info on adoptive breastfeeding and induced lactation. She's mentioned interest in that as well.

    I think the device you mentioned is called a supplemental nursing system. There are a few kinds you can purchase, but you can also make your own with a small feeding tube and a bottle--just make the nipple hole big enough to push the tube through, and voila!

    If you want, email me privately and we can chat about perhaps hooking up your friend with mine, so they can share experiences. homebirth dot study at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you could also educate them about induced lacation. They can nurse their own baby.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...